Tracey’s Garage

This site was originally occupied by Dowling’s “Bedrock Store” established in the early 1900’s by Alf Dowling.

The 1903 Directory of Trades and Professions described it as a large store “where, in addition to the usual general stock suitable for local requirements, such as drapery, fancy goods, furniture, crockery, and even post-cards, motor spirit and lubricating oil may be obtained at reasonable rates”.

Dowling sold the business to William and Emily Swinnerton in about 1915 who converted the store into a service station. They later sold the business to Tom Tracey.